
So some of you know that I started my morning well intending to be at work on time, but oh know the woodland creatures saw to it that would change. I was about to make my lunch for work when I noticed that Boris the cat had caught a chipmunk who was not dead yet, but was on his back twitching. I was very unhappy about this, but I at first decided to let nature take its course (but oh no I could not leave it at that). I tried to ignore what was happening outside my patio door and make my lunch, when out of the corner of my eye I saw the chipmunk flip over and attempt to scurry away. Now it was time to make my move, so I race to the door to yell at the cat to drop the now recaptured critter. As I slid the door open wide the cat ran in with the chipmunk in his clutches and I am sure I yell something and he reacted by dropping the chipmunk. Oh great so now the chipmunk sees he is free and is racing around my kitchen climbing cabinets and I am running around trying to follow where he is going. Then the unthinkable….he finds the one and only hole in my kitchen and disappears inside. Oh crap!!!!!! So not knowing quite what to do I call my fearless neighbor who is an animal lover like me. I believe her first reaction was to laugh, but then she came over. We bravely opened cupboards but soon realized the little chipmunk was trapped between the sub-floor and the cabinets. I soon began dismantling the cabinets, but I did stop short of removing the counter top. We tried a yard stick to flush him out but he hung on in the corner. We even tried to get him to stick to the yardstick with duct tape, but that didn't work either. So Kathy suggested I go to work and she would go to the farm store and get a live-trap for chipmunks complete with bait. So long story longer…………… she set the trap and our little friend left his hiding spot and took the bait. Kathy took him down to the woods and he let loose some grateful squeaks as she let him loose. She did snap his picture before letting him go. I Love a Happy Ending I owe Kathy big time, and for today I will a vow not to rescue any more woodland creatures….of course tomorrow is another day.
4 comments:
You're right, Babs! This is funny. I think it's great, too! Aren't you glad Kathy had a camera at the ready?
I hear that chipmunk is a delicious delicacy in some parts of the world! Not that I would know or anything! What is amazing is that the chipmunk came out and got to go home! Yea for the chipmunk!
Not all animal rescue stories end happily like this one.
Take Woody for example -- he went from being idolized in the posh farm life to being crammed into a shoebox in an underground Mexican prison...
Little Babbit... what are you thinking... opening the door, just to yell at your poor cat Boris... Now it is just natural selection at work. That little Chippy was not fast enough to get away, so really it should be taken out of the gene pool. Boris was just doing his job.
And look, I know that LB is always looking for things to do around the house, so I guess this will just keep him busy.
AJP
Post a Comment