Thursday, January 1, 2009

Adventures in South Carolina - Part 3





One of the highlights of the trip was a visit to Brattonsville; which was a 775 acre plantation owned by the Bratton family during the American Revolution. In fact much of the movie "The Patriot" was filmed on location. All the animals were dependants of the original livestock, so the pigs were Spanish and the horses were Belgiums
I think Tom is a bit too tall to live comfortably in the slave house.
The plantation owners homes were quite lavish and they had done a fabulous job of restoring them. There is one old brick house on the plantation that is in disarray but I hope someday they will restore it as well.


This is a place one could spend a lot of time exploring and well worth the short drive from Laurie and Tom's house.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brattonsville was a real treat. What a living treasure to have so close by.

After visiting for an afternoon I'm ready to move onto the plantation and live the country life.